A lot of people think this dish is quite difficult to make. I did for a while too until I tried it one day. In reality, it is probably one of the easiest things I’ve ever made as the ingredients are simple and can be prepared in next to no time at all. Although I’m sure to perfect it could take quite a good few attempts.
The ingredients are:
Butter, Clams, White Wine, Onion, Garlic, Basil, Olive Oil, Ex Virgin Olive Oil and Spaghetti (or whatever pasta you prefer)
What’s best is that this is relatively cheap to make (Clams from the supermarket were $1.80).
Here’s how I made it:
1. Heat a tiny bit of olive oil in a pan.
2. Throw in some chopped up garlic and onion.
3. Wash the clams by running them under the tap and giving them a light scrub on the shell.
4. After the garlic and onion have cooked enough to be fragrant, without browning, add in some butter and white wine to the sauce.
5. Cover the pan and cook for a minute or so, until the sauce turns kinda creamy.
6. Add the clams in, and place the lid over the pan again. Turn up the heat slightly and cook the clams for about 7-8 minutes, stirring them up occasionally.
7. You’ll know the clams are cooked when they open up. Throw away any that don’t open up.
8. Make spaghetti, or whatever pasta, a slight bit al-dente, and mix with black pepper, basil and extra virgin olive oil.
9. Toss the Clams onto the spaghetti and chow down!